Spring is here, and although it’s easy to de-clutter your home and start eliminating that winter dust, cleaning for the warmer months isn’t always simple. Some regular use items we never think about cleaning shouldn’t be forgotten! One-third of the average human life is spent sleeping—and that’s a lot of time spent on your mattress! Sweat, dead skin cells, stains, and dust mites accumulate over time in your bed, so make sure that you clean your mattress! Don’t know how? Don’t worry! The Front Door is here to help with these simple solutions to getting your mattress back to feeling fresh and new.
It might seem like common knowledge, but after removing your mattress cover, you’d be surprised at how much pet hair, dust, and sometimes dirt gets caught on the surface over time. Take the vacuum cleaner and just suck all that garbage up to keep the top of your mattress looking clean.
2. Spot clean.
Depending on the type of stain you’re dealing with, the cleaning product you use to spot clean your mattress will differ. Bodily fluid stains such as sweat, blood, and urine are most common mattress stains and can be removed with a combination of water and detergent applied with a spray bottle and rag or a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 tsp. salt that sits for up to an hour.
Get rid of nasty odors with baking soda! Sprinkle a light layer on the surface of your mattress and let it sit for a couple hours. It will absorb sweat smells and leave your mattress smelling clean. When you’re done deodorizing, vacuum the baking soda in order to remove the powder, and voila!
4. Air it out.
Last but not least, clean your mattress by letting it get a little fresh air and sunlight by letting it sit outside! By letting your mattress breathe out, you can eliminate bacteria and give it that new air circulation it needs.
5. Protect your mattress with a cover.
Also be sure to protect your mattress with a mattress cover to ensure that future dirt and stains don’t make their way to your bed. Mattress covers can also easily be put in the washing machine on a regular basis to stay clean and fresh!
- 6.0 VER-TEX® Temperature Regulating Performance Mattress Protector: This cover features revolutionary fiber that is cool to the touch and provides unparalleled climate control, ensuring a dry and comfortable sleeping environment. The flexible cushioning layer dynamically responds to your motion and boosts air circulation to keep you cool while the waterproof invisible barrier repels liquids.
- myProtector: This unique 2-in-1 waterproof protector adds a nourishing protective layer to the mattress, protecting it from stains, spills, and bacteria.
- Perfect Harmony™ IsoCool® Mattress Pad: The IsoCool® mattress pad features Outlast® Adaptive Comfort® materials that help to balance your changing body temperature, so you can sleep more comfortably throughout the night.
- Perfect Harmony™ Deluxe Mattress Pad: This protector is hypoallergenic and ready for simple machine wash. An easy clean every now and then will keep your bed fresh!
- BedWorks™ 14 Mattress Encasement: This six-sided total encasement protects your mattress from bed bugs, dust mites, allergens, and mold. It is also waterproof!
- BedWorks™ 14″ Mattress Protector: This cover protects all mattress types including foam and pillow top. It is waterproof, yet features breathable polyurethane backing for ultimate comfort.
6. Consider replacing your mattress.
If all else fails, don’t forget that you should replace your mattress every seven years so that you can sleep clean and comfortably. Every two years, your mattress collects one million dust mites, 53 gallons of sweat, and seven pounds of dead skin, so if your mattress is starting to sag and feel uncomfortable, it might be time for a new one! Find the complete guide to mattress replacement here.