Better sleep equals better health, and finding the perfect pillow can help you get your much-needed zzzs. The wrong pillow can cause and worsen many ailments including neck and shoulder pain, headaches, and overall mental disorientation. Overall, there are several main things to consider when choosing the perfect pillow. We’ve outlined the main options to get maximum rest and offer some of our favorite pillows for each sleeper type.
What Perfect Pillow Does Your Sleeping Position Need?
Consider what sleeping position you tend to prefer. Do you like to sleep on your stomach, side, or back? Take a few nights to figure out which sleeping position fits you best. This step is important because it determines which perfect pillow is right for you.
You want to make sure that you have a straight line from neck to spine when laying down in your preferred sleep position on the pillow. You may want to think about your body frame during this process. Having a bigger frame could bump you up to a thicker pillow, while being more petite could require a thinner pillow. Denver Mattress offers free fittings for both mattress and pillows. Their experts can help you find the perfect pillow so your spine is in alignment while sleeping. Schedule a fitting at your location here.
If you are a side sleeper, your perfect pillow will be thicker. It will offer support for the area between your neck and shoulder.
If you are a back sleeper, your perfect pillow will have medium plumpness. It will be able to support the area under your neck so your head isn’t propped too far forward or too far backward.
If you are a stomach sleeper, your perfect pillow will be thin and soft. It will cushion the head and neck at a comfortable angle.
What Are You Looking for in Perfect Pillow?
Now that you have you sleep position figured out, there are many options for the perfect pillow. What specific sleep problems do you encounter? Maybe you suffer from asthma or allergies and want a hypoallergenic pillow. Or perhaps you get hot at night and want a plump head cushion that will moderate your temperature.
Many sleep experts recommend replacing your pillow every twelve to eighteen months. With this schedule, value is often an important consideration to avoid breaking the bank. BedWorks Grand Vitae is a great line of pillows offered at an affordable price, ranging from $40-$50 depending on the size. All of these pillows are stuffed with a hypoallergenic microfiber down alternative. Also, they are washable and fluffy, extending the life of your perfect pillow.
- Bedworks Grand Vitae Ultimate: Great for side sleepers and/or larger body frames, this pillow has a 2″ gusset for maximum support and increased surface area.
- Bedworks Grand Vitae Luxury: Perfect for back sleepers, combo sleepers, and/or medium body frames, this pillow has a 1″ gusset to keep your spine in perfect alignment.
- Bedworks Grand Vitae Select: This pillow is the thinnest pillow in the line. It is great for stomach sleepers, small body frames, and/or children.
If you aren’t sleeping well due to feeling hot at night, your perfect pillow should be able to regulate your temperature. Bedgear’s Balance Self-Leveling Pillow features Dri-Tec® Performance Fabric. This fabric wicks away heat and moisture to help you sleep cool and dry. Reducing heat trapped next to your body helps you sleep more restfully and achieve recovery. Moreover, they have Air-X® Technology Ventilated Panels to keep air flowing, moving heat away from your head, neck, and shoulders. This maintains ambient temperatures in the pillow core. Boost Foam™ is made from the milk sap of rubber trees, nature’s most durable support material. Blended with silk-feel microfibers, this product has a hypoallergenic, breathable, and soft foam fill with exceptional conforming traits.
- Balance 3.0 Self Leveling Pillow: Sleep tested for side sleepers and broad body types, this pillow uses shock absorbing technology to alleviate pressure points.
- Balance 2.0 Self Leveling Pillow: Sleep tested for back sleepers and medium body types, this pillow uses shock absorbing technology to alleviate pressure points.
- Balance 1.0 Self Leveling Pillow: Sleep tested for stomach sleepers and small body types, this pillow uses shock absorbing technology to alleviate pressure points.
Although all the pillows we have mentioned today are hypoallergenic, if you suffer from asthma or allergies, you may want your perfect pillow to have extra protection.
- Bedworks HeveaPUR Organic Pillow: Natural and certified organic, this is the perfect pillow for side sleepers. Allergen-free and dust mite resistant, this latex pillow has a washable, 100% organic cotton cover.
- SleepAngel Anti-Allergy Filter Pillow: This pillow is clinically proven to block germs, allergens, dustmites, and dander. It is made of MicroFibre to provide a down-like, soft, medium support for back sleepers. If you like the idea of this pillow but prefer a foam pillow, try the Sleep Angel HeaveaPUR Foam Pillow.
- Mist 0.0 Performance Pillow: This pillow fits people who often sleep without a pillow, love a cuddle pillow, or want a down-like feel of soft cushioning. This hypoallergenic pillow will keep you sleeping healthy if you are a stomach sleeper or have a small body frame.
Overall, it’s important to find the perfect pillow that’s right for you. After figuring out your preferred sleep position and the qualities you are seeking, we’ve got you covered to help find the perfect pillow.
Still confused? Schedule a pillow fitting at your local Denver Mattress Store.
Need the perfect mattress? Read about how to choose a mattress here.