Most people want an on-trend, contemporary design for their home, but so much of the furniture and decor that is considered “contemporary” has a mid-century modern aesthetic. Although we love all the retro pieces that nod to the fifties and sixties, we also realize that the look isn’t for everyone. Enter contemporary classics.
What are contemporary classics?
Contemporary classics are emerging as one of the biggest home style trends, and we are obsessed with the timeless class that these furnishings bring. Traditional furniture is often considered dated, but these elegant pieces get a fresh new update, bringing sophistication and beauty to your home for a look that will not only be fashionable today, but for many years to come.
Classic furnishings tend to feature carved wooden details. With spindles, finials, twists, turning, and fluting, these pieces bring an elegant look to a contemporary classic home. Some pieces may even have carved ornaments such as acanthus leaves, fruit, or flowers for a refined touch. These carved wooden details will give your space a high-end feel.
- Lillian End Table (8): With elegant turned legs and a sophisticated espresso finish, this end table makes traditional à la mode. This piece is part of the Lillian collection, complete with coffee tables, sofa tables, and more.
- Del Norte Bookcase (10): Classic frette work on this piece is made modern with a reclaimed pine finish and antiqued mirrored application. Also available as a cabinet with a lavish stone top, this collection is perfect for a space following the contemporary classics design trend.
To get a traditional, romantic look for your home, furniture with tufting is classically refined. You can go for a formal space with pieces upholstered in leather with nail head trim, or keep it more casual with furnishings donning soft and light fabric. Whether it’s a tufted back or a piece with even more tufting like that of a chesterfield, sofas and chairs with tufted details are tailored, sophisticated, and timeless.
- Chandelier Sectional (1): With a button tufted back, this curved two piece sectional features a classic track arm and a sophisticated design. Pictured in soft gray chenille, this sofa is fully customizable, and can be made in your choice of over fifty fabric choices by visiting a Furniture Row Design Studio.
- Lachlan Accent Chair (3): A modified wingback design, tufted detailing, and stately neutral upholstery, this piece is one of our favorite contemporary classics.
Symmetrical with Soft Curves
Contemporary classics get their gorgeous appeal from their simple, symmetrical shapes. Gentle curves, eased edges, and architectural forms give these traditional but modern furnishings an effortless edge. Fashionable but modest, you’ll love the timeless poise that will give your home a polished savoir faire.
- Chandelier Ottoman (6): An oversized, round cocktail ottoman can be used as a room’s centerpiece. With convenient storage, and clean, soft lines, this piece exudes a classic vibe.
Keep your contemporary classic space dressy with polished accents. You can create a livable spot that still has a formal ambiance with hints of shine, adding depth and dimension to your classically modern room. Ceramic vases, reflective lighting, and metallic accents will elevate the beauty of a contemporary home.
- Antiqued Mercury Lamp (2): Add a touch of metallic glamour with this sophisticated table lamp. You’ll love the refined feel of this gorgeous home accent.
- Anglia Vases (9): Spotlighting a crackled, glossy finish and classic shapes, the Anglia Vases are perfectly polished for your contemporary classics living room. Available in three sizes and colors, you’ll love the way this set brings your space together.
A contemporary classic room should never feel stiff or uninviting. Turn down the ultra-formal traditional furniture with soft, clean accents. Play with patterns by adding several pillows with different contemporary fabrics in a similar color palette for a look that wows, or add elegant artwork with soft brush strokes to bring your design together. A plush, shag rug in a clean, neutral hue will also make you feel right at home in your contemporary space.
- Tuning, Abstraction, and Loopty Loo Pillows (4): Mix up the patterns with pillows with geometric, abstract, and contemporary prints. With a pale blue, green, and gray motif, these accents complement each other beautifully.
- Speculation Canvas (5): Abstract with beautiful gray and blue tones, this painting is contemporary and refined without being rigid. It adds an artistic softness to a traditional modern space.
- Venice Shag Rug (7): Ultra plush and available in ivory, light beige, and silver-gray, this rug couldn’t be more luxurious. Its long shag is extremely soft and will ground your contemporary classics in elegance.
Overall, you don’t have to be retro to be modern, and with our tips on how to create your own stylish space with these contemporary classics, your home will be traditionally elegant in no time.