Carving pumpkins is the perfect activity for getting into the spooky spirit of Halloween. Whether you go for our stitched-up spin on the classic Jack-O-Lantern, or have a hoot with the wise owl pattern, these Front Door-original templates are sure to transform your pumpkins into festive & fun holiday decorations.
How to Carve A Pumpkin:
1. Cut a hole in the pumpkin: Use a keyhole saw to cut a hole in the pumpkin. Save the top for a lid. If you plan to use candles, cut the hole in the top. For electric lighting, cut into the bottom. NEVER LEAVE CANDLES UNATTENDED.
2. Scoop out the insides: Use a scraper or a large metal spoon to scoop out the inside. The cleaner, the better!
3. Transfer your stencil: Use duct or masking tape to affix the template to your pumpkin, OR, hand draw a template onto the pumpkin. Next poke holes along the template using a T-pin tool to create a traced pattern.
4. Carve: Using a linoleum cutter or a carving tool, carve along the traced pattern. MAKE SURE AN ADULT IS PRESENT FOR CARVING. FOR MORE INSTRUCTION & INSPIRATION…
5. PRESERVE: To prevent the pumpkin from browning early, you can rub petroleum jelly along the exposed edges, OR, you can give your carved pumpkin a bath in bleach water to prevent rotting.
- Combine 1 gallon of water with 1 teaspoon of bleach
- Float pumpkin in the solution for 4-6 hours, turning them occasionally
- For more info on the bleach bath…
HINT: For these original pumpkin carving templates, cut out the black.