This DIY frame tray project lets you repurpose and reinvent items you have around the house to create something personalized and new. With just a frame, drawer pulls and hardware, and your favorite paper or photo, the frame transforms into a one-of-a-kind display tray! Special thanks to regional merchandiser Callie M. for the great idea, and photos of her own DIY frame project.
To create your own frame tray, you will need:
- 8″ x 10″ frame
- Paper of choice for featured center
- Hammer or pliers
- Drawer pulls of your choosing, and corresponding hardware
- Drill to install hardware/drawer pulls, if needed
- E6000 Adhesive (or similar), if needed
- Insert scrapbook paper into frame
- Remove frame stand from the back of the frame with hammer or pliers so the frame can rest level on a surface
- Replace the back of frame to close
- Apply the hardware to the back of the frame with necessary tools. For hardware that installs from the front, use a drill to screw into place. If the hardware is designed to install from the back (which you cannot access through the frame), use the adhesive to secure it.
To create this look for your home, the Cottage Frame is available at SofaMart. You can use any frame you like that suits your style. For a more versatile look, the Ponderosa Frame is a great choice; it can be taken in lots of style directions depending on the hardware and featured paper used.
Drawer pulls like the Double Beaded Cabinet Hardware are a transitional, timeless accent to turn your frame into a tray. Any handles you love will work!
To add a splash of color, lively prints like these watermelon, designer dots, and bird papers are simple solutions to accent your new tray. If you can’t decide on just one, feel free to change out the paper to suit the styles of the season!
For more inspiration, check out this chalk serving tray DIY! Using the same steps and little creativity, you can transform your tray into a fun chalkboard surface.