There is something so comforting about a warm bowl of chicken tortilla soup. The slightly spicy broth, tender chicken, and tanginess is a combination like no other. If you’ve lived in Texas or southern California, you can find chicken tortilla soup on most menus. However, nothing compares to homemade chicken tortilla soup and a cozy blanket. Here is our Digital Community Manager’s Tex-Mex version of her favorite Mexican dinner table staple.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs (shredded)
- 4 cups chicken bone broth (homemade if possible)
- 1 lime (squeezed)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh green onion (chopped)
- sour cream (for garnish)
- 1 lime (for garnish)
- corn on the cob (optional)
- cojita cheese
- 1 avocado
Tortilla Strips Ingredients:
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
Chicken Tortilla Soup Directions:
- Heat the onion, fresh tomato, and garlic in the 2 tbsp. of olive oil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes in a large stockpot or dutch oven.
- Add the 4 cups of chicken bone broth, canned tomatoes, shredded chicken, lime juice and all spices to the stockpot. Gently let boil for 10 minutes.
- While soup is boiling, prepare tortilla strips by cutting long parallel strips of the tortilla. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil and salt to strips. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Let boil for 5-10 more minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of cilantro to the boiling soup. Let boil for 2 minutes.
- Add optional corn on the cob (cut into halves), and salt to taste.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Ladle desired amount of soup into bowls with optional corn on the cob.
- Add a tbs of sour cream to each bowl.
- Gently add baked tortilla strips in a teepee figure.
- Sprinkle cojita on top of tortilla strips.
- Add diced avocado.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Wipe edged of bowl and serve.